Cancellations and Refunds
Cancelling your membership
Should you come to feel for any reason that you are unable to continue to support our cause, while we will be really sad to lose you, we would nonetheless like to make your departure as pain-free as possible (especially if you’re resigning in haste in a short-lived fit of indignation because someone in the party has disappointed you and there is not yet opportunity for reconciliation – in which case we really hope you come back soon, and we’ll be delighted to send you a new membership card!).
But, hoping you’ve slept on it before making your decision, should you indeed wish to cancel, please do the following:
Step 1 – Destroying Your Card
Please cut your membership card approximately in half – or into several pieces if you’re feeling really upset about something the party has done – but please ensure that regardless of how many pieces you cut your membership card into, your name and membership number are nonetheless still visible on their respective fragments. Please photograph the fragments of your destroyed card – with your name and membership number showing clearly in the photo – and have this image available on your computer or whichever device you will use to complete the short cancellation form below.
Step 2 – Cancelling Your Payments
If you have subscribed to the Democrats and Veterans via PayPal, please cancel your subscription in the following way.
Cancelling a PayPal Subscription
- Go to PayPal’s website (Don’t worry! Clicking this will open a new tab. You won’t lose your place here.)
- PayPal regularly shuffles their site around, so the following method may change subtly, but essentially, you need to do this: Click on the ‘Profile‘ link (usually at the top right corner of the page).
- Find ‘Profile and Settings‘ or similar, on the sub-menu.
- On the left side of the screen look for a link that says ‘My money‘ or similar. Having clicked this link, look towards the bottom of the main part of the page, for the heading ‘My pre-approved payments‘ and click the link beside this that says ‘Update‘.
- Now, in the ‘Merchants‘ column on the lift, look down the list for a heading ‘Dems N Vets‘ and click that. Near the top of the page you should see the title ‘Status‘. Beside that, next to word ‘Active‘ please have one last nostalgic reflection about the Democrats and Veterans and what a beautiful we could all have had together with you in the team, and with a heavy heart… click the word ‘Cancel‘ and confirm your decision when asked by the site.
Cancelling a Direct Debit
It is generally recommended that in addition to instructing your bank by phone or via their Internet banking system to cancel your direct debit, you also advise your bank of this instruction in writing. While this is not strictly necessary unless the fact of your having cancelled the direct debit is ever challenged, for peace of mind in the matter, we suggest you:
- Download, edit, print and post our direct debit cancellation instruction letter to your bank, and photograph the letter before you put it in the envelope. Please have this photograph available on whichever device you will use to complete your cancellation form.
- If you don’t wish to write to your bank, we suggest you either call your bank and ask them to cancel over the phone, or else access your Internet banking, and browse to the list or direct debits, select ours, and cancel it. If you struggle to find your bank’s telephone number, there’s usually one printed on the bank of your bank card which you can call and ask to be transferred to whoever you need to speak to to help you with this task.
Step 3 – Complete the Cancellation Form
Please have the photograph of your destroyed membership card available on this advice, (as well as a photograph of the direct debit cancellation letter you sent your bank – if you had a direct debit to us and chose to cancel it in this way), and complete the form below.
Refunds and Sizing Issues
We are unable to refund membership fees that have already been paid. Should you request us to cancel a recurring subscription, we aim to effect this with your chosen payment handler within 14 days of your request.
Should you decide that you bought an item in error, you should return the item at your own expense, to our Returns Address (detailed on the accompanying documentation). Where we receive the item in original / new condition within 14 days of the original despatch date, we will refund the cost of the item to the card or account through which the payment was made. Postage costs for the original and return dispatches will not be refunded. Where it is evident that reasonable efforts have been made to return the item within 14 days of original dispatch, and return has been subject to delays caused by Royal mail, we will extend this period for up to 7 days.
Should you receive a defective item, you should return the item in its original condition, initially at your own expense, to our Returns Address (detailed on the accompanying documentation) within 14 days of our original dispatch date. We aim to dispatch a replacement item within three working days (excluding weekends), with postage being at our expense. Should you wish to be refunded for the return postage costs, please send an email detailing this request and supplying your original order number, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the event that you purchase an item of clothing that is the wrong size, you should return this to us at your own expense in original / new condition, detailing in writing the reason for return and your preferred choice of sizing. We will aim to dispatch a replacement item with postage being at our own expense, within three working days (excluding weekends).